The disruption of the 2023 Saemangeum World Scouting Jamboree is taking a toll on South Korean soccer.
“It has been finalized to postpone the semifinal of the 2023 Hana OneQ FA Cup between Jeonbuk Hyundai and Incheon United, which was scheduled to be held at Jeonju World Cup Stadium on September 9,” the Korea Football Association said on Monday. “The decision to postpone the match was made due to the variable conditions related to the Jamboree event and the ongoing typhoon Kanun in the north,” the KFA added.
The FA Cup quarterfinal between Jeonbuk and Incheon was disrupted on June 6 when Culture, Sports and Tourism Minister Park Bo-gyun, co-organizer of the jamboree, unilaterally announced that the K-pop concert would be held at Jeonju World Cup Stadium instead of Saemangeum Outdoor Special Stage. The venue had been scheduled for a long time, but the triumphant dimension of the national event made it impossible to refuse.
After a series of twists and turns after the government’s unilateral announcement, the event was postponed, but it’s not over. Both Jeonbuk and Incheon have lost a lot. As a result of the postponement, Jeonbuk had to refund all ticket sales for the quarterfinals. The club was charged a fee for this.
Incheon, which played Jeonbuk in the K League last weekend, planned to stay put and play the FA Cup midweek. The team had booked accommodation and a training ground in the previous week, but canceled both when the game was postponed and returned to Incheon. The cost of this was borne by Incheon.
It’s unclear when the games will be played again. The KFA and Jeonbuk and Incheon plan to negotiate a future match schedule. With the intention of wrapping up the quarterfinals within this month, both teams are expected to have their season operations disrupted. Incheon, in particular, has a packed schedule that includes the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Champions League (ACL) playoffs through the end of August, which would require them to play non-stop if the FA Cup is included.
But the venue for the K-pop concert and closing ceremony has changed. Up north in Kanun, the Jamboree organizers decided to make an emergency evacuation to the Seoul metropolitan area, and the concert venue was changed to the Seoul World Cup Stadium. With little time to prepare, stages were already being set up at the stadium on the morning of the 8th, before the official announcement was made.
FC Seoul, which uses the Seoul World Cup Stadium as its home stadium, will not be directly affected as it will play Daejeon Hana Citizen away on the 12th. However, it is worried about the grass that will be damaged due to the installation of the concert and the entry of jamboree participants from around the world. Given the current setup, damage to the grass is inevitable. Unlike previous performances, which minimized turf damage, concert organizers are building stages and audience seating on the grass.먹튀검증
As the Jamboree organizers confirmed the location of the K-pop concert, the Korean Football Association said, “The Jeonbuk-Suwon Samsung match scheduled for 7 p.m. on Dec. 12 at Jeonju World Cup Stadium will go ahead.” It’s the only ray of normalcy in a sea of paralysis.